The X-Ray Diffraction Service (SDRX) is a service dedicated to support research at the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB). The Service has the suitable equipment and knowledge for dealing with X-ray diffraction (powder and single crystal techniques). Samples usually come from the fields of Geology, Chemistry, Physics, Biochemistry and Materials Science but also from other fields such as Archaeology, Medicine and so on.
Studies carried out more often are:
- Crystal structure determination: atomic connectivity, molecular geometrical parameters as bond lengths, bond angles, torsion angles, coordination polyhedron distances, configuration determination, study of weak interactions (hydrogen bond, secondary bonds, pi interactions and so on), study of crystal packing patterns, cell parameter determination, etc.
- Solid phase qualitative analysis: identification and characterization by powder diffraction. Unit cell determination. Study of powdered samples as well as metallurgic pieces, paintings, coatings, archaeological pieces, etc.
- Solid phase quantitative analysis.
- Temperature diffraction: single crystal and powdered samples. Phase transition studies.
- Studies on crystal polymorphism, solvates and co-crystals.