The Introduction to Survival Analysis Session with Deducer, organized by Servei d'Estadística Aplicada, is part of the series of courses and seminars in which we intend to promote the use of Applied Statistics.
Objectives of the seminar/workshop
Introduction to specific methodologies for the analysis of time to event data. An usual peculiarity of these analyses is the presence of subjects for which the event of interest hasn’t yet been observed. For these, the response variable time is only partially know. In this cases a censoring indicator must be defined to indicate whether the event has been observed or not. These techniques are part of what is called survival analysis.
This session will define the basic concepts and there will be some software applications with the free software Deducer.
Characteristics of the software Deducer:
Deducer is designed to be a free easy to use alternative to proprietary data analysis software such as SPSS, JMP, and Minitab. It has a menu system to do common data manipulation and analysis tasks, and an excel-like spreadsheet in which to view and edit data frames. The goal of the project is two fold:
- Provide an intuitive graphical user interface (GUI) for R, encouraging non-technical users to learn and perform analyses without programming getting in their way.
- Increase the efficiency of expert R users when performing common tasks by replacing hundreds of keystrokes with a few mouse clicks. Also, as much as possible the GUI should not get in their way if they just want to do some programming.
Deducer is designed to be used with the Java based R console JGR.
The Introduction to Survival Analysis Session is aimed at university students, teaching staff and professionals who wish to acquire knowledge of these methodologies for apply in their area of expertise and work.
Those attending this session must bring their computer. At the beginning of the session will set the instructions for install Deducer software.
Program of the session:
Consist of the following blocks:
- Basics: Time to an event, censoring types, censoring indicatos and Survival Function
- Non-parametric estimation of the Survival Function (Kaplan-Meier)
- Comparison of survival time between groups
Anna Espinal- Research Area Coordinator SEA (UAB)
Ana Vázquez- Statistical Consultant SEA (UAB)
The Introduction to Survival Analysis Session with Deducer will be held on January 31th, 2013, from 9:30 to 11:30.
The session duration is 2 hours.
Free registration at this Monographic Session (link).